TREVELYAN, Lady Paulina

1816 - 1866

Lady Paulina Trevelyan

As Paulina Jermyn, she was born at Hawkdedon, near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk on 25 January and baptised on 27 January 1816, eldest of the seven children of Revd Dr George Bitton Jermyn (1789-1857), curate at Hawkedon until 1817, and his first wife Catharine (1792-1828), daughter of Hugh Rowland of Middle Scotland Yard, London, keeper of the Queen's Privy Purse. The Jermyns were a long standing Suffolk family. She married at Swaffham Prior, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire on 21 May 1835, Walter Calverley Trevelyan (1797-1879) of Nettlecombe, Taunton, Somerset and of Wallington, Northumberland, who succeeded his father as 6th baronet on 23 May 1846. Whilst at Wallington Hall, Pauline contributed exhibition and book reviews for the 'Edinburgh Review' and the 'Scotsman' and drew and painted. She became acquainted with John Ruskin (1819-1900) and William Bell Scott (1811-1890), both of whom are believed to have contributed in the decoration of the central hall at Wallington. Known as Pauline Trevelyan she painted flower and insect studies in oil, tempera and watercolour. She exhibited at the Suffolk Fine Arts Association at the New Lecture Hall of the Mechanics' Institution, Ipswich in August 1850 watercolours 'Water Flags', 'Beech Stema', 'Study of Water Lilies', 'Chalk Cliffs, Devonshire', 'A Spring-Head, with Hart's-Tongue Fern' and 'Study of Beech Leaves and Fruit' and eight works at the Royal Scottish Academy 1850-1851 including probably the same 'Study of Water Lilies' and 'Study of Beech Leaves'. She died at Neufchatel, Switzerland, whilst on a trip with her husband and John Ruskin, on 13 May 1866 and buried there two days later. Her husband took a second wife Laura, daughter of Capel Lofft of Troston Hall, Suffolk but had no children by either wife and the title passed to a nephew, Sir Alfred Wilson Trevelyan, 7th Bart.




Works by This Painter