HARWOOD, (Eva) Lucy

1893 - 1972

Lucy Harwood

Born Eva Lucy Harwood, but known as Lucy Harwood, she was born at Belstead Hall, near Ipswich on 1 January 1893, only daughter of Alfred Harwood (19 May 1855-1940), landowner & farmer, and his wife Edith Eva née Cooper, who married at St George's Hanover Square, London on 15 August 1891. Shortly after her birth the family moved to East Bergholt, Suffolk and in 1911 Lucy was a 17 year old student living at 'Ackworth' East Bergholt with her parents, 55 year old Alfred and 47 year old Edith, with her 18 year old brother Alfred Henry Fairfax Harwood. She attended the Slade School of Fine Art prior to the First World War and at the East Anglian School of Painting and Drawing at Dedham, Essex, when it was opened by Cedric Morris in 1937. In 1939, unmarried living at her home, Ackworth House, East Bergholt, Suffolk with her incapacitated father, and on his death the following year she moved to be near the East Anglian School of Painting on its relocated to Benton End, Hadleigh, Suffolk. Owing to a botched operation when she was young, was left partially paralysed on her right side, and her pictures, painted with her left hand, are spontaneous and colourful still life and landscapes of around her house at Upper Layham, near Hadleigh. She exhibited two works at the Ipswich Art Club in 1941 'At Flatford' and 'Old Barn near Hadleigh' and in 1942 'Beehive and Trees'. She was also a member and exhibitor at the Norfolk & Norwich Art Cicle 1946-1948 from Upper Layham and her first solo exhibition was at The Minories, Colchester in 1975 and she had further shows at Sally Hunter Fine Art. She died at Ipswich in 1972, she was unmarried.




Works by This Painter