ROBERTS-JONES, Ivor

1913 - 1996

Born at Oswestry, Shropshire, on 2 November 1913, son of William Roberts-Jones, a solicitor, and his wife Sarah Florence Ellen née Owles (1886-1916), who died in 1916, aged 29. Educated at Oswestry School and Worksop College before studying at Goldsmiths' College School of Art, London 1932-1934 and the Royal Academy Schools 1934-1939. In 1939 Ivor was a sculptor living at 31 St James Gardens, Kensington, London and married at Kensington, London in 1940, Monica Florence Booth (1915-2002). During the Second World War, Ivor served in the Burma Campaign after which he taught sculpture at Goldsmiths' 1946-1973. Elected an Associate at the Royal Academy on 24 April 1969, a Member on 11 December 1873 and a Senior on 1 October 1989. A British sculptor best known for his sculpted heads of notable people such as Yehudi Menuhin and George Thomas, Viscount Tonypandy and in 1971 commissioned to produce the full-length statue of Winston Churchill which now stands in Parliament Square, London. One of his most important works is a huge equestrian work completed in 1983 'The Two Kings' for Harlech Castle which illustrates a scene from Welsh mythology. He had his first solo exhibition with Beaux Arts Gallery in 1954 and carried out a notable series of commissions portraits of the famous including HRH The Prince of Wales. He lived at The Bridles, Hall Lane, Shimpling, Suffolk where he died on 9 December 1996. One of his works 'The Borderland Farmer' stands in Oswestry town centre. (Abstraction and Reality: The Sculpture of Ivor Roberts-Jones - 2013)




Works by This Painter