CHURCHYARD, Laura

1830 - 1891

Born at Well Street, now Seckford Street, Woodbridge, Suffolk and baptised at St Mary’s church on 7 February 1830, one of the several artist children of Thomas Churchyard (1795-1865)[q.v.] and his wife Harriet née Hailes {1797-1865). Educated at a boarding school at Bury St. Edmund’s. She particularly worked in water-colour and was a member of Ipswich Fine Art Club 1884-1890 and exhibited from Seckford Street, Woodbridge ‘The Rope Walk, Woodbridge’ (1881) and continued to exhibit 1882-1890, mostly landscapes including ten works in 1883 including and oil and a watercolour both entitled 'The Entrance to Woodbridge' and watercolours 'Study of an Old Oak', 'Reydon Church', 'The Rope Walk‘, and 'At Brightwell’ and was a regular exhibitor including in 1886 ‘Wilford Bridge’ and ‘Little Bealings Church’. Her painting had a dash like her father’s and was the nearest to him in style, and was his boon companion in later years, often seen out walking with him. She also exhibited at the Woodbridge Industrial and Art Exhibitions in 1880 two watercolours 'View at Kingston' and 'View at Martlesham' and two sketches, in 1883 she exhibited six of her works including an oil 'Glade Cottage after old Crome' and in 1887 ten watercolours and and an oil 'Cherry Tree Inn'. Librarian to Seckford Library at Woodbridge and in 1891 the four sisters were living at Seckford Library, Woodbridge. She died, unmarried, at Woodbridge in the same year, aged 61 and buried in Woodbridge cemetery on 16 October. She was succeeded as librarian by her sister Harriet.




Works by This Painter