BOOTH, William Henry

1861 - 1928

William Henry Booth, was born at Eastwood, Nottinghamshire in 1861, son of David Henry Booth (1830-1887), coal merchant, and his wife Jane née Radford (1833-1896), who married at St Pancras, London in 1855. David's father William, a coal merchant in Nottingham, left an estate of 90-100,000 to his two sons when he died in 1870. By 1866 the family had moved to 3 Museum Street, Ipswich where in 1871 young William was living with his parents, 41 year old Henry and 37 year old Jane and his two sisters Eleanor 13 and Edith Jane Booth [q.v.]. In 1881, 19 year old William was a coal merchant living at Pembridge House, Anglesea Road, Ipswich with his 14 year old sister Edith Jane with six indoor servants, his parents were absent. William married at Marylebone, London in 1885, Emily Florence Massey and in 1891, a 29 year old coal factor & merchant, living at Alandale, Graham Road, Ipswich with his 28 year old wife Emily, who was born at Mansfield, Nottingham, and kept two servants. Sometime after 1901, he purchased Handford Lodge, Ipswich and formed an extensive collection of 'old master' paintings, silver, porcelain and books which were sold by auction in a five day sale in April 1906 and Handford Lodge followed in May. He then moved to 'The Rosary' Felixstowe where he formed another collection. In 1923, he was living at 53 Henley Road, Ipswich and he died on 4 December 1928 and wife Emily in 1950. A member of the Ipswich Art Club 1922-1928 from 53 Henley Road, Ipswich but although listed as an exhibitor does not seem to have shown.