BROWN, Francis [Frank]

1858 - 1929

Born at Ipswich in 1858, son of William Brown, timber merchant, and his wife Esther (1824-1889) née Landon, Francis was a brother to Margaret Landon Brown [q.v.]. Educated at Ipswich School and articled, as his first pupil, to architect Brightwen Binyon [q.v.] and subsequently in the offices of George Edmund Street, R.A. (1824-1881) during the time of the his designing the Law Courts in London which had not been completed by the time of Street's death. Frank studied at the Ipswich School of Science & Art, winning a pass certificate in Freehand Drawing and a prize for his Model Drawing in 1880 before going into partnership with John Shewell Corder [q.v.] who, in 1886, had a practice at 9 Thoroughfare, Ipswich and had offices in various places in Ipswich finally at 9 Arcade Street in 1916. He married at Ipswich in 1889, Annie Agnes Smythe [q.v.], daughter of artist Thomas Smythe [q.v.] and in 1911 Francis, a 52 year old architect, was living at 'Heathfield' Freehold Road, Ipswich with his 41 [sic] year old wife and their seven children and his 66 year old mother-in-law Jane Smythe. Brown unsuccessfully tried to resurrect the Ipswich Silk Weaving business, and in conjunction with Luther Hooper, opened a factory in Handford Road, Ipswich, a book with 'Frost's Drawings of Ipswich' by Brown {1895) was bound in silk from this factory, but was a failure. He went into partnership, George Hastiings Burgess, and they acquired the business of Brightwen Binyon [q.v.]. A member and exhibitor at the Ipswich Art Club 1886-1919 but exhibited from Gippeswyk Hall, Ipswich in 1885, a watercolour 'Sketch of Little Wenham'. He died at Ipswich in 1929, aged 70 and his wife followed in 1949, aged 81.




Works by This Painter