GRANT, Margaret Louisa Maria

1869 - 1941

As Margaret Louisa Maria Beaumont, she was born at Imham Hall and baptised at Imham, Lincolnshire on 21 March 1869, one of two daughters and eight sons, of Henry Frederick Beaumont (10 March 1833-13 October 1913), a magistrate & politician, and his wife Maria Joanna née Garthorpe, who married at Scarborough, Yorkshire on 1 September 1857. Margaret married at Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1898, George Hector Grant (1858-1930), a barrister, and their daughter was Minnie Willis Grant [q.v.]. In 1901, 32 year old Margaret was living at 37 Draycott Place, Chelsea with 42 year old George and employing six indoor servants and in 1911 Henry and his wife were resident at the Felix Hotel, Felixstowe, Suffolk. They then took ‘Little Hill’ at Bromeswell, near Woodbridge in Suffolk when George was described as ‘Colonel’ and a J.P. for Suffolk but by 1916 was the owner of Melton Grange, Woodbridge, later a hotel and now six two bed apartments. Often known as Louisa and as Mrs L Grant, a member of the Ipswich Art Club 1925-1941 exhibiting in 1927 from Little Sutton Hoo, Woodbridge, a watercolour 'Melton Church from Sutton Haugh' in 1933 from Melton Grange, Woodbridge four watercolours 'Tuddenham', 'Woods near Martlesham', 'Crimson Ramblers' and 'Thistles' and in 1937 as Mrs Grant from 37 Draycott Place, London SW3, four pictures 'Vase of Violets', 'Orange Marigolds', 'Red Ranunculus' and 'Yellow Marigolds'. She died at Chelsea, London in 1941, aged 72.