GILL, Eleanor Maud

1855 - 1930

Eleanor Maud Gill, was born at Walton-on-Thames, Surrey in 1855, daughter of Robert Gill, a county magistrate, and his wife Fanny Susanna née Need, who married at Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire in 1855. In 1861, living at Apps Court, West Moselely, Walton, Surrey with her parents, 65 year old Robert and 40 year old Susanna, with four siblings, Frederica Fanny 13, Mary 11 and Madeline Lucy 8, all born at Mansfield, and Robert John Lepping 2, born Walton-on-Thames, and the family kept nine indoor servants. A member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1883-1901, exhibiting from Apps Court in 1883, three watercolours 'Solitude', 'Ben Deareg, Rosshire' and 'Glen Lael, Rosshire', in 1884 three watercolours 'In Clumber Park, Notts', 'Sherwood Forest, Notts' and 'Pre-historic Bridge, Dartmoor', two watercolours in 1885 'A Summer Evening on the Avon' and 'Church, Stretton, Salop' and was a regular annual exhibitor. In 1901, she was living at Holmwood Vicarage, Dorking, where her unmarried brother Robert was the local vicar, and in 1911, a 55 year old, living with her 90 year old widowed mother at Red House, Yateley, Hampshire together with an unmarried sister, 63 year old Frederica. She was of The Red House, Tadworth, Surrey when she died at St Thomas, Devon on 21 March 1930, aged 76, she was unmarried.