MARGETSON, William Henry

1861 - 1940

William Henry Margetson was born at Denmark Hill, Camberwell, Surrey in December 1861, son of Edward Margetson, a commission merchant, and his wife Eleanor née Bradshaw, who married at Salford, Lancashire in 1858. In 1871, a 9 year old living at Camberwell Grove, Camberwell with is parents, 36 year old Edward and 36 year old Eleanor and an elder brother, 11 year old Edward. Educated at Miss Pace's and studied at Dulwich College and at the South Kensington Schools before attending the Royal Academy Schools. He taught drawing at the Central School of Arts and Crafts and his illustrations appeared in a variety of magazines, including 'Black & White', 'Cassellís', 'The English Illustrated Magazine', 'The Girls Realm', 'The Graphic', 'The Harmsworth Magazine', 'The Idler', 'The Pall Mall Magazine', 'The Penny Magazine', 'The Quiver', 'Sunday at Home' and 'The Tatler'. However, after the turn of the century, he concentrated increasingly on figure painting becoming noted for his paintings of beautiful girls, typically painted on large canvases in oils and watercolours and also produced a few religious paintings as well as allegorical and classical canvases. Margetson, who exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1885 and was a member of the Ipswich Art Club 1886-1891, was elected to the Royal Society of Miniature Painters in 1896, the Royal Institute of Oil Painters in 1901 and to the Royal Institute in 1909. He married at St Mark's, St John's Wood, London on 20 June 1889, Helen Howard Hatton (1859-1955), daughter of author Joseph Hatton, she was also a noted artist and they had three children including illustrator Hester Margetson (1890-1965), Beryl and Oliver. Margetson lived at Priory Cottage, Wallingford, Berkshire and died on 2 January 1940. Margetson was also a keen sailor, dancer and gardener in his spare time.




Works by This Painter