GROSE, Francis

c.1731 - 1791

Born at his father's house in Broad Street, St-Peter-le-Poer, London about 1731 and baptised in the parish of St Peter-le-Poer on 11 June 1731, eldest of the seven children of Francis Jacob Grose or Grosse, a Swiss immigrant and jeweller, and his wife Ann, daughter of Thomas Bennett of Kingston, Oxfordshire. He studied art at Shipley’s drawing school and in 1769 was a member of the Society of Artists and also exhibited at the Royal Academy. Paymaster in the Hampshire militia, captain of the Surrey militia and at Landguard Fort in Suffolk, spending a lot of his time travelling the country sketching views. He married in 1750, Catherine, daughter of Mr Jordan of Canterbury by whom he had several children, their eldest son being Francis Grose, Lieutenant Governor of New South Wales, Australia and one of his daughters married Capt Anketell Singleton, Lieutenant Governor of Landguard Fort at Felixstowe in Suffolk, where Francis lived on many occasions. He died in Dublin, whilst on a tour of Ireland, on 12 May and buried at Drumcondra cemetery on 18 May 1791. He was the author of several books including The antiquities of England and Wales (c1783), A Dictionary of Buckish Slang (1785), A glossary of provincial and local words used in England (1787), The antiquities of Scotland; The antiquities of Ireland; The Antiquarian repertory and several on military matters.














Works by This Painter