GUNDRY, Mary A

1951 - ?

As Mary Ward was born at Hunstanton, Norfolk in 1951, daughter of Maurice Cyril Ward (1909-1988) and his wife Olwen Marjorie née Paige (1915-1997), who married at Fakenham, Norfolk in 1944. She studied part-time at Norwich School of Art but is mostly self-taught and married at Hunstanton in 1974, Richard Gundy. In 1989 she became a full-time painter and illustrator and her painting captures children at play, and has been reproduced in the form of greetings cards, Christmas cards, limited edition prints and calendars for more than 12 years, some examples of which are reproduced here. She regularly undertakes commissions of children enjoying the seaside. In 1998 she opened the Garden Gallery in High Street, Southwold selling her own work complimented by the work of 30 other artists, sculptors, potters etc. To enable her to concentrate on her painting, in June 2005, she sold her Gallery working from her studio in Blythburgh, Suffolk but was a co-owner of the Little Gallery in Halesworth. Although her speciality is as a painter in watercolour, she has been experimenting with oil paints, enjoying the freedom and flexibility of the medium. Her latest project is to study horse racing capturing the movement and feel of a day at the races. In December 2008, she and her partner, Colin Huggins, decided to open The Little Gallery in Market Place, Halesworth, Suffolk selling exclusively Mary's work and Colin's photography along with some sculptural work by Michael Simpson and Barry Sutton together with ceramics. She exhibited at the Society of Women Artists Exhibition in the Mall Galleries, London in 2010.