RUTHERFORD, Rosemary Ellen

1912 - 1972

Born at The Parsonage, Bartley Green Lane, Northfield, Kings Norton, Worcester on 1 September 1912, daughter of Revd John Finlay Rutherford and his wife Florence Ellen née Edge, who married at Bromsgrove, Worcester in 1908. Trained at the Slade School of Fine Art and in 1939 an artist part-time teacher at St Cedds School, Chelmsford, living at The Vicarage Bur, Chelmsford with her parents. On the outbreak of the Second World War she joined the Red Cross as a volunteer when she performed a variety of jobs: driving a mobile canteen round gun batteries on the east coast and working as a nurse in hospitals and convalescent homes for servicemen. She was given permission by the War Artists Advisory Committee (W.A.A.C) to record her work. She studied art and painting with Cedric Morris at Benton End, Hadleigh, Suffolk but is principally known as a stained glass artist. Her work is in the Suffolk churches at Boxford, Walsham le Willows and in Hinderclay, where her brother, John Allarton Edge Rutherford (1910-1005), was the incumbent, she also completed stained glass windows in several Essex churches. She died at Lambeth, London in 1972.




Works by This Painter