TRACY, Samuel William

1830 - c.1872

Samuel William Tracy or Tracey, his name is found spelled both ways even in RIBA membership lists, but ‘Tracy’ predominates, was born at Lambeth on 5 June 1830 and baptised at Surrey Chapel, Blackfriars Road, Southwark on 13 January 1832, son of John Tracy, a surgeon, and his wife Mary Rebecca née Fife, he was an elder brother to Agnes Loveride Tracy [q.v.], Isabel Martha Wingfield Tracy [q.v.] and Louisa Agnes Tracy [q.v.]. By 1841, John and Mary with their eight children, have moved to Upper Brook Street, Ipswich and in 1851 Samuel was a 20 year old student living on Whitton Road, Ipswich with two of his sisters, Mary Catherine and Jessie Fife. He exhibited at the Suffolk Fine Art Association held at the New Lecture Hall of the Mechanics' Institute at Ipswich in August 1850 'Model of Wolsey's Gateway, Ipswich'. He may have gone to Norwich in 1854 from where he sought election as Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects but by 1861, a 29 year old architect and surveyor living at 9 Hungerford Street, St Martiin in the Fields, Westminster with an office at Bedford Chambers, 28 Southampton Street, London. As well as architecture, he designed church furnishings for Cox and Co in the mid-1860s and drew up the plans for the restoration of Whatlington church, Surrey in 1862, a church of which he did an oil painting. On 6 September 1869, when of 112a Edgware Road, Hyde Park, London, was declared insolvent when his estate paid out 1s [5p] in the £1 and shortly afterwards he emigrated to Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, where in the same year the Canadian census shows him living with his brother John, a farmer. He last appears in the RIBA membership list in 1872 and the only person in Canada of the name in the 1881 census was living at Niagara. If the same, he had not prospered, for he is described as a labourer.