DAVY, Frederick

1832 - 1890

Born at Southwold, Suffolk on 26 April 1832, son of Henry Davy (1793-1865 q.v.) and his wife Sarah née Bardwell. In 1851 an ‘artist pupil’ living with his father in Globe Lane (now St George’s Street), Ipswich and in 1865 an artist at 40 St Nicholas Street but by 1869 had moved to 12 Wolsey Street, Ipswich where in 1871, a ‘photo artist’ with his sister Clara (1839-1889) as housekeeper and 25 year old brother Edward. In 1881, living at 21 Burrell Road, Ipswich with his brother’s family, Edward ‘a merchant’s clerk’ and his wife Elizabeth and their 1 year old daughter Gertrude Elizabeth. Frederick studied at the Ipswich School of Science & Art and passed his examinations in Advanced Painting in 1880. In 1881 Frederick exhibited at the Ipswich Fine Art Club from 21 Burrell Road four works, two oils ‘St Stephens Church’ and 'Portrait of a Lady' and two watercolours 'View of Holy Wells' and 'Laying the Foundation Stone of the New Corn Exchange, Ipswich'. In 1882 exhibited from 25 Durham Street, Upper Kennington Lane, London a watercolour 'Gamekeepers Cottage, Gainsboroughs Lane'. He then took a position as an art teacher at Chesterfield Art School and on 28 October 1890 was art teacher at Wrexham Science and Art Classes, but after six weeks at Wrexham was 'found dead in bed' at his lodgings at 15 Stanley Street, High Town, Wrexham on 9 December 1890, he was unmarried. His oil 'Laying the Foundation Stone of Ipswich Corn Exchange' was lent by Barclays Bank Ltd for the centenary exhibition of the Ipswich Art Club in 1974.

His oil painting of St Stephen's church has been incorrectly attributed to Henry Davy by the Colchester & Ipswich Museum Service. This was exhibited by Frederick at Ipswich Fine Art Society in 1881 - item 112




Works by This Painter