CONFORD, Dr George James

1869 - 1948

Born at Bath Cottage, West Street, Carshalton, Surrey on 5 December 1869 and baptised on 23 January 1870, son of George William Conford (1835-1905), and his wife Martha Murphin née Clark (1840-1899), who married at Hampstead, London in 1867. In 1871, Martha and her two young sons were living at Bath Cottage whilst George was a butler in the home of Sarah Viner, a lodging house keeper at Bedford Square, Brighton. Educated at Christ Church, Oxford and in 1891 young George was a 21 year old medical student living at Maude Road, Camberwell, London with his 51 year old mother and siblings, William 22, twins Harry and Ellen 18 and Annie 16, when father George was the 55 year old landlord of the 'Golden Anchor' at Evelina Road, Camberwell, London. Young George married at Marylebone, London in 1900, Harriet Jackson (5 March 1859-1954) and they moved to Felixstowe, Suffolk. In 1911 George was a 41 year old doctor living at 'Sancroft' 20 Bath Road, Felixstowe with his 52 year old wife Harriet, born Harswell, Yorkshire, they had no issue. A sculptor and a member of the Ipswich Art Club 1942-1947 and in 1942 exhibited six sculptures, in 1943 three wood carvings and from 20 Bath Road, Felixstowe in 1945 four carved wood panels 'Blackbird', 'Cuckoo', 'Pine Martin' and 'St George and the Dragon'. He died at Felixstowe in 1948, aged 78. Conford House, sheltered accommodation built in Felixstowe in the late 1960s but now demolished, was built with funds left in the will of Dr Conford and was named after him, and a portrait of him used to hang in the corridor of the home. (Photograph courtesy of Philip Conford)