CLELAND, Beatrice

1888 - 1974

Beatrice Cleland, was born at 83 Oakfield Road, Penge, Croydon, Surrey on 6 January and baptised on 17 Februaary 1888, only child of Allan May Cleland, a nail traveller, and his wife Matilda Louisa née Kerwin, who married at Croydon in 1886. Her father died in 1888, aged 34, and in 1891, Beatrice was a 3 year old, still living at 83 Oakfield Road, Penge with her 36 year old widowed mother Matilda. They were still at this address twenty years later. In 1939, Beatrice was a commercial artist, living at Sunny Cox, Aldingbourne, Chichester, Sussex. A member of the Ipswich Art Club 1948-1956 and exhibited from 212 Felixstowe Road, Ipswich in 1948, three pictures 'Commencement of the New Power Station from Piper's Vale Cliff', 'Rhododendron' and 'Evening-The Dock', in 1949 three pictures 'The Heath', 'The Mill Lake, Holbrook' and 'Shrimping', in 1950 two watercolours 'Pin Mill' and 'The River at Ely', in 1951 two watercolours 'Low Tide, St Ives' and 'The Mount, Marazion', in 1952 three works 'Bright Morning, Woodbridge', 'Sussex Downs' and 'The Ship Inn, Woodbridge' and was a regularl exhibitor until 1955. Beatrice married at East Dereham, Norfolk in 1957, Harry Witts. She died at Beavale House, Christian Eventide Home, Moorgreen, Newthorpe, Nottingham on 4 July 1957.




Works by This Painter