ELDRIDGE, Elsie Gertrude

1884 - 1949

As Elsie Gertrude Curtis, she was born at Fulham, London on 29 January 1884, daughter of John Alfred Curtis, a clerk in the meteorological office, and his wife Annie Maria née Clements, who married at Kensington, London in 1875. Elsie married at Fulham in 1907, Frederick John Pay Eldridge, and in 1911 a 27 year old living at Tatchmoor, Mill Lane, Kettering, Northamptonshire with her 30 year old husband, a teacher of science & mathematics, born Westminster and their 1 year old son Bernard John. They later moved to the Grammar School House at Eye, Suffolk. A painter in oil and water colour and a member of the Ipswich Art Club 1923-1948, exhibited a total of twenty-eight paintings during that time, mostly landscapes, still life and animal studies. In 1923 she exhibited two oils ‘Roses’ and ‘Feeding Time’ and four others 'Queensmere, Wimbledon', 'Muriel', 'Bluebells at Kew' and 'Study of a Head' and in 1927 from Beech Place, Stowmarket, Suffolk and one oil 'Still Life' and four other items 'Bust from Life-Tuleo', a leatherwork blotter and two leatherwork purses. In 1937 she exhibited from 'Rockford', Finborough Road, Stowmarket two oil paintings ‘Eye Church Tower’ and ‘Dutch Barge, Rotterdam’ but in 1939 she was living at 52 Hestercombe Avenue, Fulham, London. As Mrs P. J. Eldridge she exhibited at Ipswich Art Club in 1943 'Still Life'. She died at 68 Finborough Road, Stowmarket, in 1944 a Mrs Elsie G. Eldrigge 'The Backway, Hadleigh', in 1949, aged 65. Her son 2nd Lieut David Eldridge was killed during the Second World War on 21 May 1940.