COLLINS, Henry William

1910 - 1994

Henry Collins & Joyce Pallot

Born at 25 Bergholt Road, Colchester, Essex on 11 April 1910, son of Henry Percy Collins, a gas fitter, and his wife Mary née Beagley, who married at Colchester in 1909. Henry studied at Colchester School of Art and the Central School of Art, London and in the 1930s he designed posters for London Underground. During the Second World War he served with the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers. Subsequent to the war he worked as a freelance designer on commissions from the Central Office of Information and the Festival of Britain. He taught part-time for twenty-five years in the Graphic Design Department at St Martin’s School of Art in London as well as Colchester School of Art and adult education centres. Along with fellow painters, John Nash and Cedric Morris, Henry was a founder member of the Colchester Arts Society. He married at Tendring, Essex in 1938 fellow artist Joyce Millicent Pallot [q.v.] and they worked on a large number of murals and exhibition designs for amongst others, Jamestown Festival, USA; Brussels Exhibition; Expo 70; Japan; Shell Centre; GPO Tower, London; Grosvenor House, London; Ind Coope Ltd; Philips Business Systems; Sainsburys; British Home Stores; Cwmbran Arts Trust; Essex County Council and IBM, London. Henry exhibited at the Royal Academy; Colchester Arts Society also at the Ipswich Art Club from 195 Lexden Road, Colchester, Essex in 1977, two paintings ‘Trinity Yard, Harwich’ and ‘Lexden Park’ but exhibited widely. He died at Colchester in July 1994. A memorial exhibition was held at Essex County Libraries in 1995-1996.






Works by This Painter