KNAPP-FISHER, John A

1931 - 2015

John Knapp-Fisher

Born at Kensington, London on 2 August 1931, son of Arthur Bedford Knapp-Fisher (1888-1965), professor of architecture at the Royal College of Art, and his wife Heather Florence M. née Philip (1902-1979), who married at Kensington in 1926 and both died at Sudbury, Suffolk. After schooling at St Andrews, Pangbourne and Eastbourne College, Sussex, he studied graphic design and typography at Maidstone College of Art 1951-1953. After two years in the army, John worked as an exhibition designer and typographer and from 1958 as a theatre designer, during which time he began painting. He married at Marylebone, London in 1960, Sheila M. Bassett when they lived on a boat gallery in which they sailed the rivers and harbours of Suffolk, including Pin Mill, with an address at 92 Benton Street, Hadleigh, Suffolk, and their two children were born in Ipswich, Alan in 1962 and Lucinda in 1964, they later divorced. A landscape painter who prefers to paint from notes and drawings in his sketchbooks, rather than from photographs as a result his favourite subjects are local to his studio at Ffynnon Ceisiad, Whitland, Carmarthenshire and is known particularly for his depictions of the coast of Pembrokeshire, West Wales. In 1992 elected a member of the Royal Cambrian Academy of Art. He exhibited his paintings regularly from his boat, around East Anglia when they were advertised locally holding a major Suffolk exhibition in 1966 at the Festival Gallery, Aldeburgh. He has also exhibited across Europe, including the Royal Academy, also in Africa and North America with his largest exhibition in Johannesburg, South Africa, where he displayed over 60 paintings. He lived at Trevigan Cottage, Croes-goch, Haverfordwest in North Pembrokeshire with his partner, Gillian Pare and died at at Withybush General Hospital, Haverfordwest on 21 February 2015.





Works by This Painter