GOODDY, Edward Coleman

1830 - 1916

Edward Gooddy

Born at Salford, Lancashire and baptised at Cathedral Church, Manchester on 3 November 1830, son of Edward Gooddy and his wife Ann née Major, who married at St John, Deansgate, Manchester on 6 July 1826. A substantial cotton spinner employing 150 people in Manchester which was destroyed in an uninsured fire when he became a manufacturer of super phosphates. He married at Mexborough, Yorkshire in 1860, Jane Barker (1839-1864) and in 1861 they were living at Ing Cottage, Oppley Butts, Meltham, Huddersfield. His wife died in 1864 when he moved to Crosland Edge, South Crosland, Yorkshire where he was living in 1871 with his son and three daughters. After other homes, in 1891 Edward was living at Metherells, Lymstone, Devonshire but shortly afterwards moved to Lambeth Street, Eye, Suffolk with his two unmarried daughters. A member of Ipswich Fine Art Club 1902-1903 who exhibited three works in 1902, from Lambeth House, Eye two oils,‘The Carnian Alps’ and ‘The Mouth of the River Conway, North Wales’ and a watercolour ‘Eye, Suffolk’. He died at Eye in 1915, aged 85. His only son, Edward Samuel Gooddy, who was born at Meltham, Yorkshire on 26 April 1863 was a general surgeon and died at Cavendish, Suffolk on 6 November 1937.