PETTIWARD , Roger Gamlen

1906 - 1942

As Roger Gamlen Terry, he was born at Onehouse Lodge, Onehouse, near Stowmarket, Suffolk, on 25 November 1906, eldest of the two sons, his younger brother was cartoonist Daniel Pettiward [q.v.], and two daughters of Charles Terry (18551933) and his wife, Eliza Mary née Gamlen (18801952), who married at Welwyn, Herfordshire in 1904. Charles Terry took the surname Pettiward by royal licence in 1908 in order to inherit the estate of his cousin, Robert John Pettiward (formerly Bussell c.1821-1908) of Finborough Hall, Suffolk. Roger was educated at Wixenford School 19151919, Eton College 19191925, and Christ Church, Oxford 19251928. He took a degree in agriculture and later a course in farm management, aiming to take over his father's estate at Finborough, but he finally decided on art. He studied art at Vienna 19281929, Munich 19291930, Slade School of Fine Art, London 19301932 and in Paris. On the death of his father in 1933, he inherited the Finborough estate and married at St Bartholomew's Church, Smithfield on 1 July 1935, Diana Berners-Wilson (19102000), whom he had met at the Slade; she was the daughter of Frederick Berners-Wilson, of The Hardwick, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire and they had one son, who was born at Finborough Hall in 1936, and two daughters. In 1936 he sold his Finborough Hall estate and went to live at his other estate at Highgate, London and in 1938 commissioned Tayler and Green to design a house in Highgate, a three-storeyed, open-plan modern house 'The Studio House', Duke's Head Yard, Highgate High Street, London which is currently a listed building. From 1935 and the beginning of the war in 1939, he contributed humorous drawings regularly to 'Punch', 'Night and Day', and 'London Week' and when he began publishing, he signed these humorous drawings with a whorl, because he wanted his name to be associated only with fine art. But the editor of 'Punch' advised him to sign his work with a name when he chose 'Paul Crum' but many continued to be signed with the whorl or not at all. Pettiward continued all the time to paint witty, quirky and humorous subjects, from models and from nature, exhibiting principally at the Leicester Galleries in London and at New English Art Club, Royal Society of British Artists and elsewhere. The only collection of Pettiward's drawings so far published is 'The Last Cream Bun' (1984) the title being taken from one of the captions, which contains over 100 drawings. On 5 March 1940 he was gazetted to the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment and was killed in the Dieppe raid on 19 August 1942, leading a troop of No. 4 commando attacking the German heavy gun battery at Varengeville to the west of Dieppe. Pettiward, who lived at The Causeway, Braughing, Hertfordshire, has no known grave but was commemorated, together with fifteen other commando dead, on a plaque in the village square of Ste Marguerite, near Varengeville and left an estate valued at 137,894. His wife remarried at Abergavenny, Monmouthshire in 1950, Arthur Jack Herbert.




Works by This Painter