GRIFFITHS, William Thompson

1833 - 1909

W T Griffiths

Baptised at St Peter’s church, Liverpool on 30 December 1833, son of John Griffiths and his wife Margaret née Lloyd, who married at Liverpool in 1828. He studied in the Royal Academy and South Kensington Schools. After 12 months as head of the Art School in Great Yarmouth, he moved to Ipswich in 1859 to become Head of Ipswich Art School then based at the Assembly Rooms in Northgate Street and was to remain Head for 47 years, only retiring in 1906 because of illness. During his time as Head, the school forged links with the School of Science and this resulted in having a base at the new Museum building in the High Street from 1881. Students at the Art School during Griffith’s leadership included Walter Batley, Frederick George Cotman, William Symonds and Emily Rope. He exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1878 ‘A Bit of Old Yarmouth’ and a member of Ipswich Fine Art Club 1875-1909 and exhibited in 1881 from Russell Road, Ipswich ‘Beddruthen, Cornwall’, 'Scarborough Castle, North Side', 'New Quay, Cornwall' and 'Evening Shadows' and in 1882 an oil 'On the Llugwy, N. Wales' in 1883 exhibited oil paintings 'The Fairy Glen, North Wales' and a drawing 'On the North Coast, Cornwall' in 1884 'Silent and Sunny' and 'On the Lugwy, N. Wales' and continued to exhibit regularly mostly views in Cornwall and Wales. In 1881 ‘Master of the Government School of Art’, living at Royal Villa, Russell Road, Ipswich with his 35 year old wife Catherine, of North Shields, Co. Durham and his two daughters, Kate 9 and Stella 5, both born at Ipswich and they kept two servants. In 1891 ‘headmaster school of science’ living at Fernley House, Crescent Road, Ipswich but ten years later had moved to 2 Gosfield Villa, Tomline Road, Felixstowe. He died at Ipswich in 1909.




Works by This Painter