GWYNNE-JONES, Allan

1892 - 1982

Allan Gwynne-Jones - self-portrait

Born at Richmond, Surrey on 27 March 1892 the only son and younger child of Llewellyn Gwynne-Jones, solicitor, and his wife, Evelyn née Hooper, who translated French and German verse. Educated at Miss Clare Berry's School, Folkestone 1899-1902 and at Bedales 1902-1910 and studied law 1911-1914 under the solicitor, William Joynson-Hicks (1865-1932), later 1st Viscount Brentford, awarded a senior scholarship by the Law Society and qualified as a solicitor, but never practised. Whilst qualifying as a solicitor he developed a love of art and began painting watercolours in the Blyth Valley in Suffolk, having visited Southwold as a child, and maintained a home at Wenhaston becoming acquainted with Albert Rutherston (1881-1953) and with his encouragement, painted a series of exquisite watercolours on silk, mainly of East Anglian subjects and included one of Southwold Fair 1912. In 1914 he began a course at the Slade School of Fine Art, but three months later was commissioned into the Welsh Guards Cheshire Regiment. He was wounded and awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) at the Battle of the Somme in 1916. After demobilisation in 1919 he taught at the Royal College of Art where he became Professor of Painting 1923-1930, when he resigned joining the staff of the Slade School of Fine Art and continued teaching at the Slade until 1958, gaining renown for his own painting, most notably portraits and paintings of flowers. He married at St Pancras, London in 1937, Rosemary Elizabeth Allan (1911-2008), eldest child of Henry Perceval Allan (1881-1966), shipbroker of Bromley, Kent and his wife Ethel Howard née Buchanan. Rosemary had been a pupil of Gwynne-Jones at the Slade, they had one daughter, Emily [q.v.] who, like her mother, became a gifted artist, and a son. Elected an Associate of the Royal Academy on 22 April 1955 and a Member on 22 April 1965 and appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1980. He died in the Northleach Hospital, Gloucestershire on 5 August 1982.




Works by This Painter