HALL, Mildred Jessie

1881 - 1955

Born at Hither Green Lane, Lewisham in 1881, only child of Alfred William Hall, a solicitor, and his wife Jessie Elvira née Sinkler, who married at Hampstead, London in 1880. In 1891, a 9 year old living at Lewisham with her parents, 42 year old Alfred and 43 year old Jessie. Her father died in 1892 and in 1901 Mildred and her mother were living with her uncle Edward Sinker, at 55 Clarendon Road, Lewisham. She studied at the Slade School of Fine Art and then in Munich, where she lived with her mother as chaperone over their objections to her marrying Frank Jennings. However Mildred married in 1906, arichitect Frank Jennings (1877–1949) and they moved to ‘The Gazebo’ Walberswick, Suffolk where their two sons, including Frank Humphrey Sinkler Jennings {q.v.], were born. An artist in pen & ink drawings, pencil work and watercolours, having a flair for landscapes and houses and she illustrated 'Ferry Knoll, Walberswick Notes' by Carol Christie (1911). In 1919 she opened 'Walberswick Peasant Pottery Company' and in 1920 moved the shop to 12 Holland Street, off Kensington Church Road, in West London and they lived over the shop, but retained 'The Gazebo' as a summer holiday home, only selling it in the late 1920's to purchase a dilapidated farmhouse in Essex but later built another house on the other side of Walberswick. Mildred and Frank drifted apart and Mildred went to live at Chorley Wood, Hertfordshire. She died at Kensington, London in 1955.