HARRIS, Violet Adele Georgina

1882 - 1979

Violet Adele Georgina Harris, was born at Abbey Ruins, Bury St Edmund’s, Suffolk on 30 August and baptised on 29 September 1882, daughter of James Edward Harris, a colonel in the Royal Artillary, and his wife Rose Harriet Theodosia née Meade, who married on the Isle of Wight, Hampshire in 1880. In 1901, an 18 year old, living at The Cedars, Alderton, Suffolk with her parents, 62 year old James, born Sharnford, Leicestershire and 50 year old Rose, born at St Peter Port, Guernsey, and three siblings, Rose Constance Sophie 19 and Beatrice Gertrude 17, both born at Bury St Edmund's and the youngest, 15 year old Theodora Elizabeth Lavinia, born at Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire. An unpaid member of the British Red Cross Society 1915-1918 working at Westhorpe Court Auxiliary Hospital, Suffolk. A member of the Ipswich Art Club 1905-1907 exhibiting from The Cedars, Alderton, near Woodbridge, Suffolk in 1905, two oils 'The Pink Cloak' and 'Thee' and three watercolours 'On London Roofs', 'Evening off Harwich' and 'The Drift, Hollesley Marshes' and in 1907 she exhibited from The Shade, Sharnford, Hinckley, an oil 'The Wood in April'. She also exhibited at Birmingham Royal Society of Artists and the Society of Women Artists 1905-1923 from The Cedars, Alderton. In 1939, living at Pound Cottage, Pound Lane, Stratford St Mary, Ipswich. She died at Oaklands, Station Road, Woburn Sands, Bedfordshire on 22 November 1979, she was unmarried.