WILLIAMS, William Henry

1771 - 1841

William Henry Williams

Born at Dursley, Gloucestershire and baptised on 2 April 1771, son of Richard Williams and his wife Alice. Educated at Beverstone Castle school and for the medical profession as a pupil to J. P. Noble at the Borough Hospital at Bristol Infirmary, St Thomas’s and Guy’s Hospitals, London. In 1795 appointed surgeon to the East Norfolk Militia then encamped at Deal, Kent, seeing much home service and in 1798 his ‘Williams Field Tourniquet’ was instructed to be employed in every regiment in the King’s service. Admitted fellow-commoner at Caius College, Cambridge on 19 May 1798, aged 27, graduating MB in 1803 and MD 1808. He married on 8 October 1799 Maria, daughter of John Pytches of Alderton in Suffolk and they settled in Ipswich. In 1810 Williams was placed in charge of the South Military Hospital in the Woodbridge Road close by Ipswich which was occupied by soldiers ill from the war at Walcheren in Holland. Elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in 1817 and in 1824, after filling the office as Physician to the Public Dispensary for twenty-one years, he retired but continued to reside in Ipswich. President and a member of the Ipswich Society of Professional & Amateur Artists from 1832, where he was probably tutored by Henry Davy [q.v.]. He was the author of several books. About 1840 he went to Cheriton, Sandgate, Kent for his health and where he died on 8 November 1841.