CLARKE, William Barnard

1807 - 1894

William Barnard Clarke

Born at Shakespeare House, Falcon Street, Ipswich in 1807 and baptised at Hollesley, Suffolk on 7 July the same year, son of William Barnard Clarke (1754-1833), bailiff of Ipswich, and his wife Sarah, daughter of Thomas Conder, an Ipswich leather-cutter, and widow of Pastor Lloyd by whom she had three children, she died May 1856, aged 84. Educated at Ipswich grammar school and Edinburgh University graduating MD in 1834. Clarke practiced at Ipswich, North Shields and at Walton-on-Naze, Essex leaving to become the first curator at the new Ipswich Museum being elected on 26 December 1846, the museum opening on 15 December 1847. He was living at 14 Berners Street, Ipswich when an exhibitor at the first exhibition of the Suffolk Fine Arts Association at the New Lecture Hall of the Mechanics' Institute, Ipswich in October 1850 when he had on show 'Water Mill in Heaton Vale, Northumberland' and 'Temporary Bridge erected in 1847...Stoke Bridge'. In 1850, on the death of museum president William Kirby, he resigned as curator but continued his practice as a physician but, saddened by the death of his mother and only child, William Barnard who died June 1856, aged 19, he retired to Fairy Cottage, Nostell, near Wakefield where he died on 20 March 1894. He married on 18 September 1834 Maria Jennings of Middlesex. A contributor to the Magazine of Natural History and an the author and editor. (Copsey-Suffolk Writer 1800-1900. (2002)