PHIPSON, Richard Makilwaine

1827 - 1884

Heveningham Church of England School

Born in London and baptised at Islington on 3 October 1827, son of Thomas Phipson and his wife Chritian née Colbourne, who married at Sturminster, Newton, Dorset on 19 July 1814. An architect who studied under John Medland Clark (1813-1849) of Ipswich and then worked in London. On Clark's death in 1849 he returned to Ipswich, acquiring Clark's practice with an office on the corner of the Ipswich 'Ancient House' which he had put in order for Jane Pawsey, the Ipswich bookseller. He maintained a London office at 34 Moorgate Street, City and in January 1856 entered into an equal partnership with George Morgan as Morgan & Phipson with offices at 5 Chancery Lane, London and at Museum Street, Ipswich but this partnership was dissolved two years later in 1858 when Phipson opened a London office at 3 Dane's Inn. Phipson of 15 Berners Street, Ipswich married at Ipswich in 1861, Ipswich born Charlotte [?] (1832-1918) and in 1861 lived at Museum Street, Ipswich. Their eldest son was born in Norwich but baptised at St Mary at Elms, Ipswich on 19 October 1866 so he had moved to Norwich by 1866. He exhibited at the Suffolk Fine Arts Association exhibition at the New Lecture Hall of the Ipswich Mechanics' Institution in August 1850 'A proposed Collegiate School', 'The Library in the Hall', 'A Design', 'A Gentleman's Residence lately erected at Walthamstow, Essex' and 'A Public Building now erecting at St Mary Cray, Kent' probably architectural drawings. Appointed Surveyor of Norfolk in 1859 had an office at Upper Surrey Street, Norwich but maintained his Ipswich office at 32 Museum Street later at 11 Carr Street. In 1881 a 53 year old architect living at Surrey Street, Norwich with his 48 year old wife Charlotte, their two children Richard Makilwaine 14, born Norwich and Charlotte C 12, born at Wroxham both in Norfolk. He died in Norwich in 1884, aged 57.