ERITH, Raymond Charles

1904 - 1973

Raymond Erith

Born at 50 Filey Avenue, Hackney, London on 7 August 1904, second child and eldest son of Charles Erith and his wife May. In 1905 Charles Erith moved his family to Sutton in Surrey. At the age of four he contracted tuberculosis which left him with a crippled left arm and when aged 12 he was again bedridden with a fall and broken leg and it was at this time that he began to paint and later made designs and plans. In 1921 he began his training at the Architectural Association and won several prizes over the next three years. On qualification as an architect he travelled to Europe and in had a walking tour to Suffolk with his brother Felix to the Stour Valley where his ancestors were residents and was the beginning of Erith's close association with Suffolk. He joined a practice in London before setting up his own practice in 1928 at Bridge Street, Westminster and in 1934 joined his father, owner of the Bedford Brick Company where he designed the kilns and other buildings. He married in 1934, Pamela, daughter of Arthur Spencer Jackson and in 1936 they moved to Dalebrook House, High Street Dedham, Essex. In 1946 Erith opened an office at 5 Queen Street, Ipswich moving to 1 Arcade Street in 1953 from where he completed several designs for Suffolk buildings. As an architect elected an Associate of the Royal Academy on 23 April 1959 and a full Member on 23 April 1964. He died in hospital on 30 November 1973, and buried in Dedham churchyard. [Raymond Erith by Lucy Archer. 1985.]




Works by This Painter