MADGWICK, Clive Sheridon A

1934 - 2005

Clive Madgwick

Born at Marylebone, London on 31 October 1934, living at Epsom during his early life, son of Dr John Reginald A. Madgwick (21 October 1902-1970), M.D., and his wife Adele Hope née Jacob (9 October 1900-1999), also a medical practitioner, who married at Hampstead in 1928 and in 1939 were living at Farmfield, Horton Lane, Ewell, Surrey, and although the family were medical but Clive turned from dentistry to became an artist. After attending Downs End School and Epsom College, he went on to study dental medicine at Guy's Hospital. He painted as an amateur for many years before turning professional in 1972, progressing from landscapes to genre, figure and sporting scenes in the Suffolk landscape being elected to the United Society of Artists in 1976 and was also a member of the Society of Equestrian Artists. He won several prizes including the Royale Landscape Prize in 1978 and 1991 and in 1987 a Higgs & Hill Bursary and the Daler-Rowney Award. His sensitive paintings were published as fine art prints with such success that Clive Madgwick became one of the worlds best-selling artists and was a regular exhibitor at Royal Society of British Artists also exhibiting at Blackheath Gallery; Webster Gallery, Eastbourne and had solo shows at the Haste Gallery in Ipswich from 1975; Phoenix Gallery, Lavenham from 1976; Francis Iles, Rochester from 1978 and Nevill Gallery, Canterbury 2001. A member of the Ipswich Art Club and he exhibited from Studio, Churchside, Little Waldingfield, Sudbury, Suffolk in 1977 'Ipswich Dock-Sir Alan Herbert' and two pictures the following year and in 1980 he exhibited 'Langham Hall, Dedham' and 'Suffolk Landscape between the Wars'. He married twice, Sara Glenny in 1960 and Joan Patricia Taylor in 1973 and lived at Newton House, Newton Road, Sudbury in Suffolk where he died in 2005. His work is found in both public and private collections in the UK, USA and Australia and is represented in the collection of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II who owns a 1989 painting 'Buckingham Palace from St James's Park', which hangs in Windsor Castle.




Works by This Painter