JOHNSON, Esther Borough

1866 - 1958

Esther Harriet George, was born at Sutton Maddock, Shifnal, Shropshire on 2 April and baptised on 4 April 1866, one of the several children of Revd James Johnson, curate at Edgbaston, Shropshire, and his wife Harriet née Panting, who married at Castlemortonon, Worcestershire on 13 October 1856 and in 1891 a 25 year old living at The Vicarage, Chapel Yard, Pentney, Freebridge Lynn, Norfolk with her parents, 65 year old James, vicar of Pentney, and 67 year old Harriet, with her sibling twin sister Lydia 25. Esther studied at Birmingham School of Art, Chelsea Art School and under Herkomer at Bushey Art School and Esther married at Saffron Walden, Essex in 1903, artist Ernest Borough Johnson (1857-1949) and worked under the name of Esther Borough Johnson. In 1911, a 45 year old living at 2 The Paragon, Petersham Road, Richmond, Surrey with her 44 year old artist husband Ernest, with her 85 year old widowed father Revd James Johnson and two indoor servants. A member of the Society of Graphic Art and the Pastel Society, she exhibited at the Ipswich Art Club in 1933 from 22 Westbourne Park Road, Bayswater, London an oil 'The Three Friends' which was priced at 150. In 1939 Esther and her husband were living at Thatched Cottage, Bay Road, Easthampstead, Berkshire and she died in the Surrey Northern District in 1958, aged 92.




Works by This Painter