TAYLOR, Bertha

1867 - 1954

As Bertha Biddell, she was born at Hawstead, Suffolk on 27 January and baptised at All Saints' Church, Hawstead on 28 January 1867, daughter of William Biddell (8 August 1825–25 October 1900), a farmer and a brother to Herman Biddell [q.v.], and his first wife Ellen née Blencowe (1829-1867), who married at Bradfield St Clare, Suffolk in 1857 and in 1861 were of Knew Hall, Bulls Hill, Hawstead. Her mother died in 1867 and the following year her father married Mary Ann Scott and in 1881 they were living at Lavenham Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk when William was described as an M. P., land agent & farmer of 680 acres. Bertha married at Lavenham in 1900, Revd Henry Taylor and in 1901 were living at 10 St Mary's Square, Bury St Edmund's. In 1911, a 40 year old, living at The Vicarage, Great Barton, Bury St Edmund's, Suffolk with her 39 year old husband and four daughters, Bertha Mary 10, Hilda Biddell 7, Ruth Biddell 6 and Elizabeth Biddell 4. As Mrs Bertha Taylor she exhibited at the Ipswich Art Club from Lavenham Hall in 1937, a watercolour 'Lavenham Church'. In 1939, a landowner & farmer, living at Lavenham Hall with unmarried daughters, Hilda Biddell (23 June 1903-1983), a braille corrector for the blind, and Ruth Biddell (3 February 1905-1971), in the land army. Bertha died at Lavenham Hall in 1954.