GILL, William (1803-1900)

1803 - 1900

William Gill, was born at Nowton, near Bury St Edmund's, Suffolk on 25 September and baptised in the adjoining village of Rougham St Mary Church on 2 October 1803, son of James Gill and his wife Ruth, née Hills. In 1881, a 75 year old retired farmer living at Odessa House, Dalton Road, Ipswich with his 67 year old wife Emily Camell née [?] (1814-1883), born North Lopham, Norfolk. An amateur artist in both oil and watercolour, who exhibited at the Bury & West Suffolk Fine Art Circle in 1882 'A Corner of Ipswich Cattle Market' and 'Cattle on the March'. A Member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1883-1898 and exhibited from 1879. In 1881 he exhibited from 33 Newson Street, Anglesea Road, Ipswich, ten works including an oil 'A Misty Morning' and watercolours 'The Old Chalk Pit, Claydon', 'A Spring Morning on the Gipping', 'Sunrise in a Fog, the Orwell', 'In Olden Times', 'Early Spring Morning, Brooks Hall', 'Sunrise, Early Spring', 'The Old Tug', 'An Autumn Afternoon in Norwich' and 'St Peter's Dock'. In 1882 he exhibited fourteen works including 'A Fine Morning View from the Promenade', in 1883 eighteen works including 'Moonlight on the Wensum, Norwich' and in 1884 exhibited from North Light House, Sir Isaac's Walk, Colchester four watercolours including 'Cloudy Afternoon, a Sketch at Sproughton', and in 1885 two watercolours 'Evening' and 'Bourn Bridge' and regular annual exhibitor including in 1890 'Maltings Farm, Lexden, Colchester', 'Sleeping Bridge, Colchester' and 'Brightlingsea, Essex'. He died at Ipswich on 7 March 1900 and buried in Ipswich Cemetery three days later.