MURRAY, Constance Digby

1876 - 1965

Born at Camberley, Surrey on 3 June 1876, daughter of Col. Kenhelm Digby Murray (1839-1915) and his wife Caroline née Thomson, who married in Scotland on 23 May 1870 and in 1901 were living at The Croft, High Street, Holbrook near Ipswich. A painter in oil and watercolour and an etcher and later was of Bath, Somerset. A member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club 1909-1924 and exhibited from Holbrook, Suffolk in 1910 an oil 'The Gipping, Sproughton', in 1912 an oil 'Ipswich Docks' and a watercolour 'On the Gipping' and in 1913 four watercolours 'Stoke Bridge', 'Saaner, Switzerland', 'Kersey' and 'Courtyard, Ancient House, Ipswich' and exhibited some twenty-two works 1906-1923 including an oil ‘Peep of the Orwell’ (1906), ‘Barn Interior’ watercolour (1914) and ‘Old Granary, Ipswich’ etching (1914) her last works were in 1923 when she exhibited 'Old Oak Lane', 'Aerodrome, Martlesham', 'Courtmasberry', 'Old Head of Kinsale' and two etchings 'Old House, Colchester' and 'Cottages near Burstall'. On the of her mother on 13 February 1927 she moved to Bath, Somerset from where she exhibited at the Royal West of England Academy in 1929 ‘The Chapter House, Wells’ and ‘Bath Abbey’. In 1939 she was living at 14 South Parade, Bath and she died at Bath on 3 July 1965, aged 89, she was unmarried.