BARNES, Frederick

1814 - 1898

Born at Hackney in London in 1814. Educated at Christ’s Hospital School where his father was a master. Articled to architect Sydney Smirke (1798-1877) working in London, and then worked in Liverpool for several years before coming to Ipswich in 1843 to assist his friend John Medland Clark (1813-1849) on the new Custom House building. He married at Lewisham in 1846, Caroline née Betts (1821-1888) and in 1850 opened his own practice from 13 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich where he lived with his Epsom born wife and a servant. One of his first commissions was for Charles Stewart for Thurleston Lodge in Henley Road, Ipswich which was built in 1852. He exhibited three architectural painting at the Royal Academy 1848-1854 and in 1871 an architect still at 13 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich with his wife and two servants. He later moved his office to Hatton Court and in 1888 had one of the largest practices in the town, his most notable buildings were the railway stations he designed for the Great Eastern Railway in a Tudor Gothic style, the best of which survive are at Needham Market, Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds. Less successfully, he was the architect of the church of St Andrew at Melton on the outskirts of Woodbridge, but he was also responsible for many church restorations. Frederick and Susannah lived at Mill Hill, a large house at 61 Anglesea Road in Ipswich. He died at Ipswich on 6 December 1898, aged 84 and buried in Ipswich Cemetery three days later and almost certainly, designed his gravestone himself, he does not appear to have had any issue.




Works by This Painter