PHILLIPPS, Major Charles Burch

1835 - 1883

Born at Geneva, Switzerland on 8 November 1835 and baptised at the British Chaplaincy six days later, son of Capt. Charles Phillipps and his wife Mary, second daughter of John Bolton Smyth of Stoke Hall, Ipswich, who married at Ipswich on 19 August 1834. He married at Bury St Edmund's in 1865, Amy Florence (1840-1919), third daughter of Revd Acton Colville of Baylham Rectory, Suffolk. A member of Ipswich Fine Art Club 1875-1883 and exhibited from Barham Hall, Ipswich in 1875 seven paintings 'Marmon's Head', 'Blakenham Mill', 'Edinburgh Castle with Arthur's Seal', 'Ape's Hill, Barbary and Bay of Gibraltar', 'Barhham Hall' and one untitled, in 1876 three works 'Lough Brin, Remy', 'Deserted Village' and' 'Venetian Harbour, Corfu' and in 1878 two works 'Teneriffe' and 'Blackwater Valley, County Kerry', in 1879 five works 'On the River Waveney, near Burgh', 'Sevastopol from 3rd Division Picquet 1855', 'Bournemouth looking West', 'Blackwater River, County Kerry' and 'Shrubland from the Long Covert' and was a regular exhibiter showing his last works in 1883 four water-colours 'The Pitch Lake', 'Tombs at Scutari', 'Citadel of Corfu' and 'Vera Cruz'. His death is recorded in the 'Ipswich Journal' of 23 January 1883 'recently on a voyage to Australia...Major Charles Burch Phillipps of Barham in Suffolk'. His eldest son Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Phillipps (1866-1919) married in 1900 Miss Clara Middleton Peniston and his second son, Major Picton Phillipps, married in 1902, Gabrielle Monica Fonnereau of Christchurch Park, Ipswich and his daughter Efa Florence Phillipps [q.v.].