POWER, Cyril Edward

1872 - 1951

Cyril Power

Born at Redcliffe Street, Chelsea on the 17 December 1872, eldest child of Edward William Power, an architect, and his wife Amelia Poole née Berry, who married at St George's Hanover Square in 1869. Studying architecture in his father's office before being awarded The Sloane Medallion by the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1900 for his design for an art school. He married at Bury St Edmund's, Suffolk in August 1904, Dorothy Mary Nunn, shortly afterwards moving to Putney where their son, Edward Raymond Roper-Power, was born the following year. Power worked as an architect at the Ministry of Works under Sir Richard Allington and was involved with the design and construction of the General Post Office, King Edward VII Building and also the Post Office at the corner of Exhibition Road and Imperial College, Kensington, London. In 1908 the family moved to Catford where their second son Cyril Arthur Power was born. About this time Power became lecturer of Architectural Design and History at the School of Architecture, University College, London (now the Bartlett School of Architecture) under Professor Simpson and also at Goldsmith's College, New Cross, London which led to publication of his 'History of English Mediaeval Architecture' (3 vols. 1912) which features 424 of his own ink and pen illustrations and detailed designs. The outbreak of the First World War saw the birth of his daughter, Joan Margaret Roper-Power, and his commissioning into the Royal Flying Corps and management of the repair workshops at Lympe Aerodrome on the Kent coast. Power also designed and executed a War Memorial for the Great Western Railway at Paddington, London around this time. After demobilisation the family moved to Bury St Edmunds where Power recommenced his architectural practice which included design alterations and additions to Chadacre Hall Agricultural College for Lord Iveagh and the beginning of his move into creating artwork producing watercolour landscapes and townscapes as well as the first of some 40 drypoints and was a member of Ipswich Art Club 1921-1925 exhibiting from 4 Crown Street, Bury St Edmunds in 1921 two watercolours 'A Lonely Road' and 'St Mary's Church, Bury St Edmund's' and from Crescent House, Angel Hill, Bury St Edmund's from 1924. The birth of his youngest son Edmund in December, 1921 coincided with his first meeting with Sybil Andrews [q.v.], with whom he maintained a close and somewhat informal working relationship which lasted for some 20 years. Shortly after their first joint exhibition in Bury St Edmunds, he moved with his family to St Albans, Hertfordshire. In 1925 Power and Sybil Andrews enrolled at Heatherley's School of Fine Art, London when he was also elected a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society. Power also helped Iain McNab (1890-1967)and Claude Flight (1881-1955) set up The Grosvenor School of Modern Art in Warwick Square, London with Andrews becoming the School Secretary and Power was a principal lecturer. Around this time he and Sybil Andrews began co-authoring prints together under the name Andrew Power. In 1930 Power was elected member of the Royal Society of British Artists and established a studio with Sybil Andrews in Hammersmith close to the River Thames, a location which inspired many prints by both artists, most notably 'The Eight' by Power and 'Bringing in the Boat' by Sybil Andrews. Their first major joint exhibition was at the Redfern Gallery in 1933 which consisted of linocuts and monotypes and the following years saw many more joint exhibitions until the dissolution of their informal partnership in July 1938 when they gave up their London studio when Power rejoined his family who had just moved from Hertfordshire to New Malden in Surrey. At the outbreak of World War II, Power was attached to a Heavy Rescue Squad as a surveyor, based at Wandsworth Town Hall but continued drawing and painting, tending to work principally in oils using a palette knife technique. He also spent time lecturing on painting and linocutting to the local art society at New Malden and at Kingston-upon-Thames. During the last year of his life Power completed some eighty-nine oil paintings, mainly landscapes of the surrounding areas, often Helford River and the Falmouth area of Cornwall as well as some floral studies. He died in London in May 1951, aged seventy-eight.




Works by This Painter