REYNOLDS, Bernard Robert

1915 - 1997

Bernard Reynolds

Born at Norwich, Norfolk on 2 June 1915, son of Edward Bernard Reynolds and his wife Mary E. née Cowles (born 10 July 1883), who married in the Mutford district of Suffolk in 1914. Educated at the City of Norwich school and studied at the Norwich School of Art 1932-1937, and the Westminster School of Art in London 1937-1938. In 1939 an unmarried electrical instrument tester living at 87 Gipsy Lane, Norwich with his widowed mother Mary, and worked as a naval instrument engineer 1938-1947 and for a year was a lecturer in sculpture at the Sheffield College of Art before his move in 1948 to the Ipswich Art School where he remained lecturer of sculpture until 1980 when he retired. He taught Ray Exworth [q.v.] and John Green [q.v.], who both went on to have successful careers in sculpture. He remained linked to Norwich through his involvement as a founding member of the Norwich Twenty Group and his membership and exhibitor at the Norfolk & Norwich Art Club 1946-1954 from Norwich and later from Brook Cottage, Washbrook, Ipswich. A member of the Colchester Art Society and also a member of the Ipswich Art Club from 1950, where he was elected president, and his bronze 'The Artist's Son' was shown at the Club centenary exhibition in 1974. In 1978 he exhibited from 20 Anglesea Road, Ipswich his sculpture 'Dying Seabird' and in 1980 'Nude Study' but by 1985 had moved to Old School House, Barham, Ipswich. His sculptural work remains in Ipswich today with the 'Ship Fountain' on Civic Drive roundabout and 'Triple Mycomorph' sculpture in Christchurch Park. Reynolds exhibited his work regularly including exhibitions at Keele University, Staffordshire 1965; University of East Anglia 1966; Chapel Galleries, Essex 1991; Butley Priory Gallery, Woodbridge 1993 and Advice Arcade Gallery, Norwich 1996. He married at Ipswich in 1952, artist Gwynneth Jane Griffiths [Reynolds q.v.], and they had one son and three daughters. He died at Ipswich in 1997.




Works by This Painter