ROPE, Margaret Edith

1891 - 1988

Margaret Edith Aldrich Rope

Born on 29 July 1891, and baptised Margaret Edith at St Margaret's Church, Leiston, Suffolk on 25 August, fifth child of Arthur Mingay Rope (1850-1945) and his wife Agnes Maud née Aldrich (1855-1943). Born into a farming family at Leiston on the Suffolk coast, Margaret Edith Rope found herself among artistic relatives at Leiston and Blaxhall, Suffolk. Her uncle, artist George Thomas Rope [q.v.], her aunt, sculptor Ellen Mary Rope [q.v.], and her sister Dorothy was also a sculptor. In the family, her nickname was 'Tor', for tortoise and she was later to use a tortoise to sign some of her windows. Educated by an aunt and later at Wimbledon High School, at Chelsea School of Art and at LCC Central School of Arts & Crafts where she specialised in stained glass under Karl Bergemann Parsons (1884-1934) & Alfred J. Drury (1868-1940). From about 1911, she started working at the Glass House in Fulham with her cousin Margaret Agnes Rope [q.v.] and one commission they worked on together is believed to have been the Rope family memorial window for Blaxhall church. During the Great War, 'Tor' was involved in the Women's Land Army, returning to the Glass House, working with ‘Marga’ also working on independent commissions such as Clippesby, Norfolk (c.1919), where her skills at portraying children are first visible as is her interpretation of the Arts and Crafts style. To distinguish herself from her namesake cousin, she used the professional name of M.E.Aldrich Rope, incorporating her mother's maiden name, or M.E.A.Rope. One of her friends was church architect J.Harold Gibbons which led to her first major commission for St Chad's, Far Headingley, Leeds and the resulting large window above the altar, 'The Creation', remains one of her finest works. Around 1926 she moved to 61 Deodar Road, Putney where she was living 'a stained glass artist' with her sister Helen (7 July 1900-1941), but during World War II, she moved to 81 Deodar Road which was bombed when she moved to Storrington, Sussex. After the war she returned to Deodar Road but No. 89, where she had a studio, workshop & kiln which was also used by Rachel de Montmorency (1891-1961). During this period she completed a number of windows for the Carmelite monastery at Quidenham, Norfolk, which were largely designed by sister ‘Marga’. In 1978 she returned to live on the family farm in Suffolk where she died on 9 March 1988, aged 96, after suffering a protracted period of Alzheimer's Disease, she was unmarried.




Works by This Painter