RUSHBURY, Sir Henry George

1889 - 1968

Henry Rushbury

Born at 24 Greenfield Road, Harborne, Birmingham on 28 October 1889, son of George Norbury Rushbury, a warehouse clerk, and his wife Naomi, née Fennell, who married at Kings Norton, Worcestershire in 1883. Henry studied on a scholarship under Robert Catterson Smith (1853-1938) at the at Birmingham College of Art from the age of thirteen and then worked as an assistant to Henry Payne (1868-1939) until 1912, when he moved to London, where he shared lodgings with fellow Birmingham student Gerald Brockhurst (1890-1978). Rushbury was an official war artist during World War I, and took up etching and drypoint under the influence of Francis Dodd (1874-1949) before studying briefly under Henry Tonks (1852-1937) at the Slade School of Fine Art in 1921. Watercolour painter and etcher and a Member of New English Art Club 1917, the Royal Society of Painter Etchers and Engravers 1922, and the Royal Society of Painters in Water Colour 1922 and elected at Associate of the Royal Academy on 21 April 1927, a Member on 11 February 1936 and a Senior on 31 December 1964 and was Keeper 22 April 1949-30 June 1964. He exhibited at the Royal Academy; Abbey Gallery; Agnew & Sons Gallery; Beaux Arts Gallery; Barbizon House; Brook Street Art Gallery; Connell & Sons Gallery; Colnaghi & Co. Galleries; Chenil Gallery; Fine Art Society; Grosvenor Gallery; Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts; Goupil Gallery; Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool; Leicester Gallery; Manchester City Art Gallery; New English Art Club; Royal Hibernian Academy and the Royal Scottish Academy 1889-1968 from London 1912, 1925 and 1938, Petworth, Sussex 1923 and Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk from 1933. He exhibited at the Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1923 two dry point pictures 'Walls of Sienna' and 'The Fascisti'. In 1949 elected Keeper of the Royal Academy and Head of the Royal Academy Schools and knighted in 1964. He married at Chelsea in 1914 Florence Harriet née Layzell(1894-1981), and their daughter Julia Rushbury was born at Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk in 1930 and in 1939 Henry was living at Lower House Farm, Foxearth, Long Melford, Suffolk. He died on 5 July 1968.




Works by This Painter