TURNER, Philip John

1876 - 1943

Philip John Turner

Born at Stowmarket, Suffolk in 1876 and baptised at St Peter & St Mary, Stowmarket on 18 June 1876, son of William Turner (1846-1934), a Stowmarket draper and his wife Emily Mary (1849-1934) née Ranshaw, who married at Louth, Lincolnshire in 1870. In 1881 a 5 year old living at Ipswich Road, Stowmarket with his parents, 34 year old William and 31 year old Emily, with five siblings, Agnes E. 9, Ethel Mary 8, Herbert W. 6, Ernest C. 2 and newly born Lillian B., and they retained five indoor staff, they had one further daughter Marjorie Ranshaw, born 1888. Educated at Framlingham College 1889-1892, where he won the Wallace prize for drawing and articled to Ipswich architect John Shewell Corder [q.v.] and continued at the Architectural Association, London and elected ARIBA in 1901 and FRIBA in 1907. Philip commenced practice at Parliament Mansions, Victoria Street Westminster, London in 1900 and in 1904 was at 1 Vincent Square also at Stowmarket. In 1908 he exhibited at the Royal Academy from Stowmarket, the year that he emigrated to Montreal, Canada. In June 1910, he married Adeline Peddar from England and was in partnership with William Edward Car[e]less (1881-1949) 1913-1915 at 45 Beaver Hall Hill, Montreal and a member of the staff of McGill University 1908-1941. Professor of Building Construction and Professional Practice, Director of the School of Architecture and special lecturer on Library Planning & Equipment and amongst his work in Canada are several banks and St Philip’s church, Montreal West. He died at Montreal on 13 August 1943.