WILSON, Sir Frederick William

1844 - 1924

F W Wilson

Born at Scarning, Norfolk on 26 March 1844, second son of William Wilson of the Manor House, Scarning, a Liberal tenant farmer and one of the founders of the 'Norfolk News', and his wife Elizabeth née Turner, who married in 1840. Educated at Wymondham grammar school and indentured to printer to Jacob Henry Tillett, member of parliament for Norwich 1868–80 and editor of the 'Norfolk News'. In 1861 Wilson was a 17 year old apprentice printer lodging at the home of George Chandler, grocer & draper, at Wensum Street, Norwich after which went as assistant on the 'Liverpool Daily Post'. At the age of 21 he came to Ipswich as editor of 'Ipswich Express', 'Colchester Times' and 'Suffolk Mercury' at 21 Upper Brook Street trading as F W Wilson & Co. and in 1874, with the financial assistance of J. J. Colman of Norwich, founded the East Anglian Daily Times. He moved the offices to 17 Carr Street and in 1887 opened purpose–built premises further along the road at 13 Carr Street. He married at Lewisham in 1870, Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Edward Capps, a currency reformer, of Forest Hill and in 1871 a 27 year old journalist of Upper Brook Street, Ipswich with his 23 year old wife Mary, born at Borham Wood, Hertfordshire. 1875–92 printer & publisher of the East Anglian Daily Times a position he passed to Thomas Richards Elkington [q.v.] as printer & publisher, with Wilson as the proprietor, still trading as F W Wilson & Co. In 1890 his home address was Altern House, Tuddenham Road, Ipswich and High Row House, Felixstowe he also had his family home at The Dale, Scarning, Norfolk. In 1894 Wilson was elected president of the Newspaper Society of the United Kingdom, JP for Suffolk 1894, presided at the formation of the Felixstowe Golf Club in 1880 for which he was Hon. Secretary in 1888 and of the Felixstowe Rifle Club in 1900. Liberal MP for mid–Norfolk 1895–1906 and president of the Institute of Journalists 1907 being knighted the same year. An amateur painter and a member of the Ipswich Art Club from 1878 until his death, but I have found no exhibits. He died on 26 May 1924.