ADCOCK, Alwin 'Bunny'

1905 - 1985

Waldringfield on the Deben, Suffolk

Born at Ipswich on 1 September 1905, third child of Francis [Frank] Grickson Adcock, a second-hand furniture dealer, and his first wife Alice Gertrude née Durrant (1865-1905). One of the early pioneers of radio, his interest in painting did not develop until some years later. He studied etching under Leonard Squirrell [q.v.] at the Ipswich School of Art and subsequently watercolour and oil painting with Anna Airy [q.v.]. A member of Ipswich Art Club from 1938 until his death and was Hon. Sec. 1955-1959 compiling the Art Club catalogues. An exhibitor for many years from 1938, and was also a member and exhibitor at the Norfolk & Norwich Art Circle 1952-1953 from Ipswich. In 1943 he exhibited at Ipswich three works 'Dockland', 'A Suffolk Village' and 'A Suffolk Church' in 1944 three works 'The Corner', 'Heathland' and 'The Wayside House' and in 1951 he exhibited from 26 Cotswold Avenue, Ipswich three oils 'Early Morning (Looking towards Valley Road)', 'East Lane, Bawdsey' and 'Woodbridge' and the following year an oil Walberswick' but in 1961 exhibited from Berner House, Hasketon, near Woodbridge two oil paintings 'The Old Fort, Felixstowe' and 'West Mersea', in 1964 he exhibited three oil paintings 'The Oak, Hasketon', 'Seeing Beyond the Horizon' and 'West Mersea' and was a regular exhibitor. In the Ipswich Art Club centenary catalogue in 1974 Ipswich Musuem loaned his oil 'Waldringfield', of which he painted several different views, when his address was Red Tiles, Westerfield, Ipswich. He married in 1947, Joyce E. Barkaway and he died at Ipswich on 5 June 1985 and buried at St. Mary Magdalene church, Westerfield.