DREWRY, Yvonne Marjorie

1918 - 2007

Yvonne Drewry

Yvonne Marjorie Drewry, was born at Brentford, Middlesex on 18 February 1918, daughter of Alfred Frederick Vere Drewry (1888-1978), a motor tyre factor, and his wife Ada née Anniss (1883-1965), who married at Brentford in 1914 and in 1939, were living at 6 Clinning Road, Southport, Lancashire. Yvonne studied at Southport College of Art and in 1939, won an Andrew Grant scholarship of £120 a year for three years, to train at the Edinburgh College of Art where she studied under Sir William George Gillies (1898-1973), John Maxwell (1905-1962) and book illustrator Joan Hassall (1906-1988). She married at Southport in 1941, Robert Alexander Campbell [q.v.] and the following year they moved to Black Mill House, 196 Kirton Road, Trimley St Martin, Felixstowe, Suffolk, where they had four children, but had separated by 1968. Drewry was a prolific artist, working in oil, watercolour and pen & ink, and was also a notable print-maker and typographer, her other work included woven textiles and handicrafts. Her work was mainly figurative, although her later works were much more abstract in character, with the main subjects being landscapes and seascapes of the Suffolk countryside, travelling around Suffolk and Norfolk in her Fiat 238 camper van seeking suitable subjects. She also worked with still life pictures of flowers, plants and trees, including those growing in her own garden; she also produced an occasional portrait. Yvonne exhibited regularly in Suffolk galleries, including the Denis Taplin Gallery, Woodbridge; Gallery 44, Aldeburgh; Gainsborough's House, Sudbury; Wolsey Art Gallery, Ipswich and from her own studio, she also exhibited at Mall Galleries, London and internationally including Czechoslovakia, France and America and in the 1994 Laing Art Competition, was highly commended. A member of the Ipswich Art Club under the name of 'Mrs' Yvonne Drewry from 1945, but exhibited in 1944 three works, 'Boats, Coombe Martin', 'Contentment' and 'Flowerpiece' also exhibiting a print 'Sea Wave' at the 1974 centenary exhibition. In 1990 she exhibited from 'Out Yonder', Alderton Road, Hollesley, Woodbridge, Suffolk, four paintings 'Old Trees', 'Shingle Street Coastline', 'Appletree in Snow' and 'The White Seat'. From 1944, Drewry had created several short run private press illustrated books that she printed herself on an Albion press and bound under the imprint 'The Black Mill Press' and later 'The Centaur Press', in editions of 24, printed on roughly cut handmade paper with slipcases. She also illustrated existing works, including Edmund Spenser's 'Prothalamion' and a posthumous edition of the engravings of Viola Paterson (1899-1981). In 1985, a founder member of the 8+1 Suffolk Group of nine artists, her works are rarely titled but were generally signed 'Yvonne Drewry' with the year. In 1977, Drewry moved briefly to Tuddenham St Martin, just outside Ipswich before settling in Hollesley in 1980, where she lived until 2004. Suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, she spent her last years in a nursing home in Woodbridge, Suffolk and died on 9 August 2007, aged 89.

Works by This Painter