ROSE, George Herbert

1882 - 1955

Born at High Street, Chipping Ongar, Essex on 23 December 1882, son of Thomas Edward Rose, a tailor, and his wife Julia née Barlow, who married at Chipping Ongar in 1876. He became a commercial clerk and in 1911 was still living with his parents at Chipping Ongar. He studied art at Regent Street Polytechnic and a landscape painter both in oil and watercolour also an etcher exhibiting at the Royal Academy, Colnaghi's, New English Art Club and the Royal Scottish Academy. In 1939, a married gas company's collector, living at 41 Denman Drive, Finchley, Middlesex and a member and exhibitor at the Ipswich Art Club 1942-1956 and exhibited in 1941, five works 'Tye Cottage', 'Dollar Street, Cirencester', 'Bedgubg Road, looking West', 'The Village of Kersey' and 'The Usurper's Field' an oil which was loaned by Ipswich Museum in 1974 for the Club's centenary exhibition. In 1942 he exhibited five works 'Spring Landscape with Four Elms in a Field of Barley', 'St James', Piccadilly, before the Blitz', 'Egyptian Boat Building, Ismalia 1917', 'Bosham Harbour, Sussex' and 'Topplesfield Bridge, Hadleigh' and in 1943 six oils 'Nedging Tye Allotments', 'Chipping Ongar from the South', 'Clouds in May', 'The Wheelhouse, Naughton', 'Westminster in 1927' and 'Grey Skies with Wild Rose'. In 1944 he exhibited from Tye Cottage, Nedging Tye, near Ipswich, two oils 'The Essex Plough, under a South Westerly Sky' and 'Thunderstorm Passing Over', and 'Kersey', 'Bridgegate, Barnard Castle' and 'Greenstead Church', and in 1945 five watercolours 'Tye Cottage', 'View from Bildeston Crown', 'Bildeston with the Parish Church', 'Chipping Ongar, from the Spring Field Ponds' and 'Naughton Church, Suffolk' and he exhibited four pictures each year 1946-1950. He died at Ipswich on 3 April 1955.




Works by This Painter