PALMER, John Lewis

1903 - 1977

Born at Rougham, Suffolk on 23 November 1903, son of Joseph Leonard Palmer, a farmer later of Braintree, and his wife Jessie née Lewis, who married at Chelmsford, Essex in 1893. John lived in Ipswich but later moved to Colchester, Essex and a watercolour painter and etcher, of landscapes, figures and animals. He married at Ipswich in 1932, Alice May Cottam [q.v.] and in 1939 they were living at 6 Middlefields, Colchester Road, Halstead, Essex. A member of Ipswich Art Club 1932-1963, exhibiting from Thistledell, London Road, Ipswich in 1932, two dry point works 'The Plough Inn' and 'The Ferret' and, after his marriage, from Vine Cottage, 20 Crabbe Street, Ipswich in 1933 five works 'East Hill, Hastings', 'Old Hastings from East Hill', 'The Old Inn Yard', 'The Path at Tamerlane' and 'Suffolk Lane'. In 1935 he had on show two etchings 'Farmyard' and 'Evening' and was a regular exhibitor showing at least thirty works between 1931 and 1950 including from Halstead in 1941, two works 'The Old Cart Shed' and 'Morston, Norfolk' and from 3 Hubert Road, Colchester, Essex in 1949 two watercolours 'Fordham Church, near Colchchester' and 'The Beach, Whitstable'. He and his wife later moved to Halifax where he died in 1977.




Works by This Painter