ROBINSON, Ernest Harold

1889 - 1968

Ernest Harold Robinson

Born at Stockport, Cheshire on 31 July 1889, son of Alfred Robinson, agent for building supplies, and his wife Ada née Cuttill, who married at Stockport in 1887. In 1911, a 21 year old teacher in an elementary school living with his parents at 2 Napier Street, Hyde, Cheshire. During the First World War a machine gun Officer with the 7th Battalion King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, and sailed to France/Flanders with them on 27 August 1915. As a Captain he rejoined his regiment in September 1916 and took temporary command from 23 December 1917 until 1 February 1918 with the rank of Major. Again wounded on 12 April 1918 when the Battalion was holding the Le Hamel Switch between the La Bassee Canal and the Canal de la Lawe. He rejoined his regiment in September 1918 but was again wounded on 1 October 1918 during advance from trenches east of Flesquieres. Awarded MC and a bar on 18 July 1917 and the DSO on 6 April 1918. On his retirement from the army with the rank of Lieut.Col. and after a period at Newark Grammar School, he spent a short time at East Bergholt, Suffolk and as Lt.Col. E. H. Robinson, D.S.O., R.A.O.C. was a member of Ipswich Art Club 1922-1924 and exhibited from Ashfield, East Bergholt in 1923 three watercolours Dedham Lock', 'Reina Christina, Water Tower' and 'A Moorish Backyard'. About 1923 he took a position as a teacher at Moseley Grammar School. He married at Chorlton, Lancashire in 1917, Ellen Elizabeth Sharples (20 October 1888-1962) and in 1939 they were living at 1 Sylvan Avenue, Altrincham, Cheshire with their soldier son Harold John Robings (31 October 1918-1985). Ernest died at Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire on 7 October 1968.