WILLIAMS, Norah Marguerite

1906 - 1988

As Norah Marguerite Skinner, she was born at 147 Westminster Road, Handsworth, Birmingham on 16 January 1906, daughter of Leonard John Skinner (23 September 1862-1951), a postal official, and his wife Vera Gertrude née Smith (14 February 1873-1949), who married at West Bromwich, Birmingham in 1904 and in 1939 were still living at 147 Westminster Road, with their son Howard John Skinner (19 March 1907-1951), an insurance manager. Norah was educated at King Edward VI School, Birmingham and studied at Birmingham School of Arts and Crafts 1922-1926. She worked for several years for Cadbury's Chocolate Company and married at West Bromwich in 1931, Edward Williams (22 March 1884-1954), a commercial traveller, and they came to Ipswich and in 1939 were living at 55 Lattice Avenue with their son. Norah was an occupatioonal therapist at the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital for almost 35 years during which time teaching crafts at Ipswich Civic College 1960-1973. A landscape and figure painter and a member of Ipswich Art Club from 1933 until her death and exhibited from 'Cromelhurst', 55 Lattice Avenue, Ipswich in 1933 'Barbara', in 1937 'Boats at Pin Mill' and 'Judith', in 1941 'Near Tuddenham' and 'Country Scene', her other exhibits include 'The Holy Loch, near Dundoon' (1934) and and 'Weeping Willows' (1943), she was active until the 1970's and also did feature drawings and illustrations for the 'East Anglian Daily Times'. She died at her home at 55 Lattice Avenue, Ipswich in 1988.