ANDREWS, Florence Christine

1905 - 2002

Born at 30 Norfolk Road, Ipswich on 9 March 1905, only child of John George Andrews, a tailor, and his wife Annie née Simpson, who married at Ipswich in 1902. In 1911 John was at home whilst his wife and young Florence were on a visit at Elton Park Cottage, London Road, Ipswich, the home of widow Frances Mary Dixon. Florence was educated at Ipswich Elementary School and studied at Ipswich Art School with watercolourist George Rushton [q.v.]. A decorative flower painter and an artist in lacquer, a member of Ipswich Art Club from 1939, but as Miss F. C. Andrews, had exhibited from 30 Norfolk Road, Ipswich in 1933 'A Floral Group', in 1937 'Flower Study' and in 1941 she exhibited three 'Flower Studies', in 1942 two, both entitled 'Flower Study' and a further five 'Flower Study' in 1943, four in 1944, two 'Flower Study' plus 'Roses' and 'Lupins'. She continued to live in the house of her birth at 30 Norfolk Road, but died at Eye, in the Hartismere district of Suffolk in 2002, she was unmarried. Her oil on card 'Still Life: Flowers in a Basket' 15.2cm x 22.8cm is in the collection of Colchester & Ipswich Museums Service.