BURGESS, George Hastings

1870 - 1944

Born at Hastings, Sussex on 2 August 1870, son of Samuel Collier Burgess, a master draper & grocer, and his wife Mary Ann née Pollard. In 1871, 8 month old George was living at Crawley Street, Crawley, Sussex with his parents, 43 year old Samuel and 36 year old Mary Ann and six sibling who were all born at Hastings. He studied to be an architect and came to Ipswich in 1890, lodging at 28 Museum Street, a 20 year architect's assistant to Brightwen Binyon [q.v.] and on Binyon's retirement in 1897, went into partnership with Francis [Frank] Brown [q.v.] and they acquired Binyon's practice. In 1901, a 30 year old architect lodging at 85 London Road, Ipswich, the home of 53 year old architect Arthur Field and his family, which included Arthur Welburn Field (1883-1964) who eventually took over Burgess's practice. A member of the Ipswich Art Club 1923-1944 exhibiting in 1932 from 9 Arcade Street, Ipswich 'Ipswich from Vermont Crescent' and 'Pin Mill Hard'. In 1939 an architect living at 52 Tuddenham Road, Ipswich and exhibited a futher two works at the Ipswich Art Club in 1941 'Elms at Sproughton' and 'Lime Kiln Lane, Claydon' and in 1943 three more 'Guildford Road, Horsham', 'Water Meadows above Chantry Lock' and 'The Gipping, near Claydon'. He died at Ipswich in July 1944, aged 73, he was unmarried.